Life Pacific College: Established in 1923

Financial Aid

Financial resources are available from federal, state, institutional, and private programs. Financial assistance is a partnership between the student and their family, the federal government, the state of California and Life Pacific College. Every effort will be made to communicate to the student what is expected for financial aid and student accounts.

Aid Programs

Student Loans

    • Direct Federal Loans
    • Direct Plus Loans

For more information on how to apply for financial aid download our Financial Aid PDF.

Veterans Benefits

Life Pacific College is approved for the training of veterans who are entitled to educational benefits under existing laws. A veteran wishing to use these benefits should make application to his or her local Veterans Administration Office for approval, indicating one of the following programs: Biblical Studies (AA or BA), Business Administration (BA), General Studies (AA – San Dimas Campus), Human Development & Psychology (BA), Ministry & Leadership (BA), Strategic Leadership (MA), Transformational Ministry (BA), Second Bachelor of Arts (BA), or Worship Arts & Media (BA).

Apply for VA Benefits

Forms & Info

Having problems with the financial aid forms? E-mail

Refunds & Policies


The government has established a statutory schedule to determine the amount of federal Title IV funds a student has earned as of the date he or she ceases attendance. The amount of federal Title IV Program assistance earned is based on the amount of time the student spent in academic attendance; it has no relationship to the student’s incurred institutional charges.

Once institutional and/or student liability has been determined, the refund is distributed to the Federal programs in the following order:

    1. Direct Federal Unsubdued Loan
    1. Direct Federal Subsidized Loan
    1. Direct Federal PLUS Loan
    1. Federal Pell Grant
    1. Federal SEOG (supplemental educational opportunity grant)
    1. Other federal, state, private, or institutional student financial assistance
    1. Student


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy For Financial Aid
Students applying for financial aid must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in their degree program. Academic progress is measured by Qualitative (grade based) and Quantitative (Time-related) Standards set forth by the federal government and shall be used to determine eligibility for participation in student financial aid programs at Life Pacific College. Each student’s academic progress will be evaluated at the end of every semester as part of determining their eligibility for financial aid. The federal government mandates that students must be making SAP toward a degree in order to maintain financial aid eligibility.

Qualitative Standards
In order to receive financial aid, students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 in progressing towards the A.A and/or Bachelor’s degree(s) offered by the College.

At the time of review, a student’s official cumulative GPA is evaluated to determine whether qualitative standards are being met.

Quantitative Standards
To quantify academic progress students must not exceed the maximum time frame in which to finish their educational program.

Percentage completion
The maximum time frame for completion is 150% of the published length of the program. For instance, if the published length of a program is 128 units, 150% of 128 units are 192 units. The student must complete his or her program by the time he or she reaches 192 attempted units. Therefore, in order for students to complete their program within the maximum time frame students must complete a minimum of 67% of all units attempted.

Units Completed and Attempted
All units transferred in from another college must be counted as hours toward completion of the student’s program as both hours attempted and hours completed.

Completed units are enrolled units for which credit is received. Courses in which a student receives a grade of F, IN, WP or WF will not be counted as completed units for satisfactory academic progress purposes, but will be counted as attempted units.

Furthermore, if a student completes the academic requirements for a program but has not yet received a degree, the student is no longer eligible for aid.

Repeated Courses
Students may receive financial aid for repeated courses taken to improve a grade and raise the cumulative GPA; however, all prior attempts will still be considered as attempted units for financial aid purposes.

Failure to Maintain Standards
The academic progress of aid applicants is reviewed at the end of each semester/payment period. Students failing to meet the minimum qualitative or quantitative standards required for maintaining satisfactory academic progress will be placed on Financial Aid Warning and will continue to receive Title IV aid for one payment period/semester. The student will be notified of this status and requirements necessary to meet SAP by the end of the next semester/payment period. If at the end of the next semester (time of review) the student has not met SAP standards the student will no longer be eligible to receive financial aid.

The Appeal Process
Appeals for re-establishing eligibility may be based on extenuating circumstances that prohibited the student from meeting SAP standards during the warning period.

Examples of extenuating circumstances:

    • Death of an immediate family member
    • Documented Illness
    • Major accident or injury (Self, child, or parent)
    • Victim of a crime or unexpected disaster

The student must submit an appeal letter to the Financial Aid Office and it must include the following:

    • Why the student failed to make SAP standards
    • What has changed that will allow the student to make SAP at the next evaluation

A committee will review the appeal and contact the student once a decision has been made.

    • If it is determined that the student will be able to make SAP standards by the end of the next semester/payment period, financial aid will be reinstated, OR
    • The student will be required to meet with a representative of the Academic Office or the Registrar’s Office in order to come up with an academic plan that will ensure the student is able to meet SAP standards by a specific point in time. Financial aid will be reinstated as long as the student is meeting the requirements of the academic plan, OR
    • The appeal will be denied and the student will no longer be eligible for financial aid until the student has successfully completed enough units to prove SAP standards can be met.

Student Accounts

We know that the preparation of financial planning can be very confusing for students and families. We hope that this page will be helpful for your financial planning.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do students receive their student bills?
Students will be notified by the Registrar’s Office when it’s time to register for classes. Once the student has registered for classes for the upcoming semester, then the Student Accounts Office will promptly mail the student an Estimated Student Bill* and a Student Bill Notification.

*Please note that the tuition bill is estimated, so if a student changes their class schedules, then their bill and payment plan may change.

Where are student bills sent?
Before classes begin, each student will be sent 2 copies of their Estimated Student bill and a Student Billing Notice to the address that the student has provided to the school. After classes begin, monthly statements may be placed in student mailboxes on campus. Please note that all student bills will be distributed to students only and that we do not mail monthly billing statements to parents.

Please sign one copy of the Estimated Student Bill and mail to the Student Accounts Office. All students are required to return one signed copy of their Estimated Student bill.

We encourage students to be responsible to clearly communicate with parents when they receive their monthly statements, especially if their parents are helping them to pay their student bill. Ultimately, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure they are on task with making payments.

Can I view my Student Account bill online?
Yes, after classes begin, we will electronically bill your student account. Once that happens, then your bill will no longer be estimated, the online student account billing will be an accurate account of your financial records. You will be able to view your student account bill online through your LIFE Link account. If your parents are assisting you in paying for school, students can give their parent’s access to their LIFE Link account so that they can see what you owe once your account has been electronically billed.

What are the payment deadline dates?
Payment Deadlines for New Students:

    • August-1st
    • October 10th
    • November 10th

All Student Accounts must be paid in full on or before November 30th, 2016 to prevent a 10% late fee from being added to their account.


    • January-1st
    • February 10th
    • March 10th
    • April 10th

All Student Accounts must be paid in full on or before April 30th, 2017 to prevent a 10% late fee from being added to their account.

Payment Deadlines for Returning Students:

    • August 1st
    • September 10th
    • October 10th
    • November 10th

All Student Accounts must be paid in full on or before November 30th, 2016 to prevent a 10% late fee from being added to their account.


    • January 2nd
    • February 10th
    • March 10th
    • April 10th

All Student Accounts must be paid in full on or before April 30th, 2017 to prevent a 10% late fee from being added to their account.

What types of payment plan options are there?
Besides paying in full for your tuition, LPC offers a payment plan option.

Monthly Payment Plan
Your first payment is due on the deadline date. Please refer to the Payment Deadline Dates above. There will be a $50 payment plan fee for this service. The payment plan fee is charged once per semester. The full balance (including the $50 payment plan fee) is divided into four equal payments during the semester.

Payment in Full Plan
The remainder of your balance must be paid in full by the end of the first week of school. Please note that all students that are not completely paid off by the deadline date given to pay in full will automatically roll over into the Monthly Payment Plan Option and will be charged a $50 payment plan fee.

How do I make payments?
Payment by Check
Make all checks payable to Life Pacific College and mail to:

Life Pacific College
Student Accounts Office
1100 West Covina Blvd.
San Dimas, CA 91773

Write the students name and student ID number on the memo of the check to ensure that the payment is easily identified and applied to your student’s account.

Automatic Payments by Check through your bank
You may check with your personal bank to see if they have an automatic payment system where you can set up monthly payments to be sent directly to the school. Make sure that your bank will put the students name and student ID number on the check to ensure that the payment is easily identified and applied to your student’s account.

Payment by Debit or Credit Card
We accept debit and credit card payments using the following:

    • American Express
    • Discover Card
    • Master Card
    • Visa

For your security, you should call the Student Accounts Office to provide debit/credit card information.

Do not email credit card information to protect you from Identity Theft. You can call and make a credit or debit card payment by calling (909) 599-5433 and asking for the Student Accounts Office.

What if I have not filled out my FAFSA on time before the first payment is due?
The policy states that all students must make their first payment by the deadline dates provided with or without financial aid. We would strongly encourage you to complete the financial aid process as soon as possible so that your financial aid would be reflected on your bill.

What if I have a Hold on my Student Account?
Typically, if you have a hold on your Student Account, it is because you have an outstanding balance from a previous semester.

A Student Accounts Hold can affect you in these ways:

    • Your ability to register for classes may be affected.
    • Your ability to return to school the next semester may be affected (please see the above question for more specific information).
    • You will not be able to request Official Transcripts unless your balance is paid in full.
    • Once a student has paid their Student Account in full, the Hold will be removed and they can return to school or request your Official Transcripts from the Registrar’s Office.

Private Student Loans

After you have taken out Direct Federal loans you may find that you need to borrow additional loan funds. Private student loans are additional loans that a student can take out to help cover their educational expenses. If a student does not have enough credit history established they may need a credit worthy co-signer. We strongly encourage students to take the time to check out several lenders before making their decision. Fast Choice gives you the opportunity to cost-compare a few lenders at once. If you decide to take out a private student loan you will also be required to complete a Private student loan counseling session online through Fast Choice. Online counseling will aid you in knowing what your rights and responsibilities are in regards to private student loans. You will also be required to complete a “Self Certification Form”, in order to complete Section 2 of this form you will need to contact the financial aid office. Below are the steps needed to apply for a Private Student Loan.

*Please be aware that if you are not actively using the Fast Choice website, it may timeout and you will have to begin the process again.

    1. Complete the online counseling called “Borrowing Essentials” at our Fast Choice website. Please note that this counseling session called “Borrowing Essentials” is an interactive online counseling session and you will need to closely read the information provided. Please read and continue each page of the counseling session until it is completed.
    1. Loan Options: Hit continue until you get to the page “How Your Loan Options Are Determined,” read and click on the box stating that you have read and understand this policy and continue to “Loan Options” so that you can start researching and comparing Private Student Loans. Only after you complete your online counseling session will you be allowed to take the next step. To get started please go to this link, Fast Choice.
    1. Compare Private Loan Lenders. You can research and compare various private student loans at the above Fast Choice website. You can compare 3 lenders at the same time with an “Apply Now” option for each lender.
    1. Complete a Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form. Private Ed. Loan Applicant Self Certification Form (PDF)
    1. The Final Step is to Mail the Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification Form to the private loan lender of your choice. All students who choose to take out a private student loan are required to fill out this form and mail to the lender. To complete the Self Certification Form, you will need to contact the financial aid office to provide information for Section 2 of the form.

1098T Tax Form Info

Information regarding the 1098T Tax Form

Please understand that the Student Accounts Office cannot offer tax advice. If you have questions about the 1098T form and tax credits, please contact your tax preparer or follow the links to the IRS provided at the bottom of this page.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

What is a 1098T form for?
A 1098T form is for a student/or parent of student to use to claim a Hope and Lifetime Learning Education Credit when they file their taxes. The Hope is based on tuition and related expenses required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible institution. For more information, please go to the links at the bottom of this web page.

When are the 1098T forms mailed?
By the end of January, the Student Accounts Office mails out the 1098T form for the prior tax year. Please note that we will not give “estimates” for those who file taxes early.

The Student Accounts Office will not email this form in a PDF due to the confidential nature of the data that is included on this form to prevent Identity Theft.

To which address will my 1098T form be mailed to?
Undergraduate Students:
The forms are placed in student boxes on campus for resident students.

Degree Completion / Graduate / Distance Learning students and Recent Alumni:
The forms will be mailed to the permanent addresses of Degree Completion Students.

*If any student has had a change of address, please contact the Registrar’s Office and provide them with your updated address.

Why is Box 1 on the 1098T blank?
The IRS requires that schools fill either Box 1 or Box 2 on the form. Life Pacific College will provide information in Box 2, which is the amounts, billed for qualified tuition and related expenses.

Helpful Links

Get in contact with the Office of Financial Aid


Luci Perez
Director of Financial Aid
Phone: (909) 706-3022