Life Pacific University is thrilled to announce the new Master of Divinity, Master in Business Administration, and Master of Arts in Counseling programs that will be launched in 2023. Through the tireless work of beloved faculty members, these programs have been developed to continue to equip and train leaders for both vocational and marketplace ministry through Life Pacific University. The advancement of our graduate degree programs is part of LPU’s commitment to the transformational development of students into leaders prepared to serve God in the Church, the workplace, and the world.
Master of Divinity
Built upon the foundation of LPU’s Master of Arts in Theological Studies degree, the Master of Divinity is the premiere professional degree for pastoral ministry, chaplaincy, and para-church leadership. It is a comprehensive program of study that prepares students for Spirit-empowered ministry in a rapidly changing world. This degree offers the acquisition of knowledge and skills in the areas of biblical studies, theology, pastoral care, and practical ministry.
The Master of Divinity is designed to increase a ministry leader’s level of competence in: 1) communicating Scripture, 2) congregational leadership, 3) discipling people, and 4) caring for individual souls and communities amid the growing complexity of a spiritually-starved society. Working from a solid core of biblical studies and theology, the MDiv curriculum is weighted toward the effective integration of practical ministry skills, intercultural awareness, and spiritual formation. It enhances the application-based learning design of the Master of Arts in Theological Studies, equipping ministry leaders for relevant, thoughtful, and Christ-centered service in their unique ministry context. The MDiv is also widely recognized as a prerequisite degree for the Doctor of Ministry and for PhD programs at some seminaries.
Graduates of the Master of Divinity will be able to:
- Biblical Scholarship- Critically interpret Scripture to develop theological conclusions that enlist the supporting sources of tradition, reason, experience and community.
- Theological Research- Produce graduate-level theological research by utilizing critical research and information literacy skills.
- Spiritual Formation– Conduct themselves with Christian maturity, demonstrating submission to and empowerment by the Holy Spirit.
- Effective Communication- Construct teaching plans, curriculum, and public presentations for communicating biblical and theological truth in various settings.
- Pastoral Care- Provide Spirit-led, theologically-informed, interculturally-sensitive pastoral care and wise ethical guidance to individuals and communities.
- Congregational Leadership- Plan, lead, and evaluate with cultural awareness, activities that involve others in working toward shared goals and opportunities for faithful ministry and mission.
The Program Chair of the Masters in Theological Studies and member of the MDiv Program Development Task Force, Dr. Ken Bringas, says “What we are striving to achieve with the new Master of Divinity is a high-quality, biblically and theologically grounded, practical training program that will prepare students for Spirit-empowered, emotionally-healthy pastoral care, and congregational leadership. Through LPU’s new MDiv, students will not only become grounded in Scripture, but equipped with the skills for effectively pastoring people amid the growing complexity of a post-Christian society”.
Master’s in Business Administration
The master’s degree in business administration enhances a broad range of marketable skills that can give business leaders an edge in the marketplace. Students engage in cross-discipline work through select courses, blending management strategy and analysis, leading to a general management perspective across the functional areas of business. Students take core classes covering accounting, economics, finance, management, marketing, information systems, strategic planning. Graduates will come away with the necessary skills required to develop leaders, manage operations, and grow organizations. The content is filtered through an ethical decision-making and critical thinking grid within the context of a Christ-Centered worldview and Spirit-empowered business leadership.
Graduates of the Online MBA Program will be able to:
- Strategic and Innovative Thinking, and Analysis– Apply the skills learned to develop fully reasoned arguments and solutions for such contemporary issues as the need for innovation, integrity, leading and managing change, globalization, and technology management.
- Social, Legal, and Ethical Responsibilities of Organizations and Society – Analyze the impact of an enterprise on its various stakeholders using deontological and consequential lenses with an awareness of the current U.S. legal and global regulatory business environment.
- Effective Oral, Written, and Presentation Communication Skills – Construct a logical, relevant, and professional quantitative assessment of business information in an effective manner.
- Team Participation and Leadership – Apply theories of effective leadership, team composition, process, and motivation (including inclusivity and diversity) to effectively manage work teams.
- Faith Integration – Formulate a process of integrating business and Christ-Centered Mission by seeking opportunities to utilize market success in the advancement of God’s Kingdom here on the earth.
Master of Arts in Counseling
Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC)
The Master of Arts in Counseling (MAC) prepares students for a career in the mental health professions with a firm foundation of psychological theory, research, and spiritual formation as practitioners. This program is designed to expand student knowledge and expertise in the field of counseling services while developing Christian counseling professionals for a career dedicated to improving the lives of others. This program prepares students for the challenges of the mental health profession by applying current psychological theory integrated with solid biblical principles in spirit-filled practice throughout the curriculum. Instructors are scholars, practitioners, and people of faith, offering both academic and practical guidance. Built on a cohort model, the program facilitates long-term relationships, supportive growth, and guided professional development. The students will research their state’s guidelines for licensure. Students will acquire the knowledge and skill to assess, diagnose, and treat patients with mental health or other emotional, social and/or behavioral needs. This online counseling degree will also prepare students who desire a state license as professional clinical counselors. Students pursuing licensing will need to follow the requirements for their state and academic requirements established by the National Board for Certified Counselors for the National Certified Counselor (NCC).
Graduates of the MA in Counseling will be able to:
- Utilize effective skills in evidence-based assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental disorders and behavioral needs across the lifespan. (Assessment & Diagnosis)
- Implement legal and ethical decision-making processes in the practice of psychotherapy within a clinical and biblical worldview. (Law & Ethics)
- Apply theoretical concepts to therapeutic issues in relation to individuals, couples, and families. (Theory & Practice)
- Examine the complexity of cross‐cultural issues and the interventions that address these challenges. (Diversity & Culture)
- Formulate a process of integrating psychology and Christianity and connecting each aspect of the human person with God’s grace, redemption, and purpose. (Formation & Integration)
The current Program Chair for the Human Development and Psychology Program, as well as the interim Program Chair for the Master of Arts in Counseling, Elizabeth James, M.A., LMFT, says, “Besides LPU being a perfect environment for the MAC program due to the dynamic culture of faculty, staff, and students, there is much to be excited about as we anticipate the launch of this new degree. What I am most excited about is having an extended opportunity to provide a safe and nurturing environment for students who are developing a sense of who they are both professionally and personally. As a seasoned clinician and professor, it is most rewarding to be a part of the milestones that students in the healing profession accomplish as they serve our communities in need”.
Request information for any of these upcoming programs: MDiv, MBA, or MAC.
Learn more about any of our available academic programs.